We are so excited to announce Camp Insulin and Stars, our virtual “Camp at Home” program this summer. Check out the details and enroll below. You can also download the printable flyer.
Camp Insulin and Stars is open to people with and without diabetes. Activities will be interactive, will encourage movement, and will limit screen time. All programs will be led by DYF staff and volunteers.
These free programs take place weekly. You must register for each program in order to participate. To register, please go to our calendar, select the program you are interested in and click the “Register in advance for this meeting” link (click “more details” if this link does not appear). You will be taken to the registration page. A waiver form will be emailed to you after your registration and must be completed prior to your first event. Once your registration is approved by our staff, you will receive an email with the Zoom link.
TEEN TUESDAYS | 8:00PM
JUNE 2-JULY 28
Teens ages 13 and up are encouraged to join us every Tuesday night for fun activities, conversations, and camaraderie with other teens and camp staff.
WELCOME STAFF WEDNESDAYS | 7:00PM
MAY 13-JULY 15
Camp staff past and present are invited to come together every Wednesday night for friendship, games, and activities. Registration is not required for these staff sessions-just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the link.
FAMILY CHOICE | 6:30PM
MAY 29-JULY 23
The whole family is invited for activities with our wonderful camp staff. Parent participation is welcome for some activities (and you’ll have a blast!), while others will keep kiddos occupied while parents have the opportunity to learn from our amazing medical team and participate in live Education Sessions where questions and interaction are strongly encouraged.
Parents- If you have other diabetes questions that fall outside of the assigned parent topics, stay online after each Parent Education Session for “Office Hours with Nurse Jeannie.”
- July 8: Reverse Pictionary with Ann (Kids) and Intro to Loop (Adults)
- Kids-bring your coloring supplies and participate in this twist on a classic!
- Ed Session: Introduction to Loop, Presented by Dr. Justin Altschuler
- July 9: Dance Party with Ann
- A playlist will be shared ahead of time so that everyone can join in from their own dance floor! Learn camp classics like Cotton Eyed Joe, and boogie the night away!
- July 10: Campfire with Maria
- Join us around the (virtual) campfire for songs, skits, jokes, and magic tricks.
- July 15: Adaptation Auction with Whitney (Kids) and Advanced Looping Tips and Tricks (Adults)
- This nature-themed competition combines drawing, bidding, wit, and hilarity. You won’t want to miss this one!
- Ed-Session: Advanced Looping, Presented by Dr. Justin Altschuler
- July 23: Back to School with T1D (Parents)
- Join Lisa Shenson and Tariq Ahmad, MD to discuss legal and procedural aspects of 504 plans, get guidance on re-entry in the era of COVID-19, and understand your child’s rights at school.
Past Summer 2020 programs:
- Education Sessions:
- Mental Health and Self Compassion with Sarah Altschuler, MD
- Improving Diabetes Flexibility with JoAnne Robb, MFT
- Adolescent Brain Development + T1D with Mary Simon, MD
- Puberty, Hormones, and Changing Insulin Needs with Louise Greenspan, MD
- Sick Days, COVID-19 Symptoms, and T1D with Stephen Gitelman, MD, Anna Bakardjiev, MD, and Maureen McGrath MS, PNP-BC, BC-ADM
- Recreation Sessions:
- Scavenger Hunt with Regan
- Tie Dye with Marilyn and Leah
- Building Challange with Vlada
- Dutch Auction with Adrian
- Friendly Family Feud with Whitney and Al
- Show and Tell with Al
- Photo Scavenger Hunt with Paige
- Game Challenge with Leah
- Jeopardy with Al and Regan
- Variety Show with Scott
- Bearskin Bake-off with Leah and Larisa
To register, please go to our calendar.
These free programs take place twice a day Monday-Thursday. You must register for the full week in order to participate, and participants should plan on attending each time slot. To register, please go to our calendar, select the program you are interested in and click the “Register in advance for this meeting” link (click “more details” if this link does not appear). You will be taken to the registration page. A waiver form will be emailed to you after your registration and must be completed. Once your registration is approved by our staff, you will receive an email with the Zoom link, along with your child’s group assignment.
KIDS CAMP (AGES 4-13) | 10AM-11AM & 3PM-4PM DAILY
WEEK 1: JUNE 15-18 | WEEK 2: JUNE 29-JULY 2
Kids will be grouped by age with their peers and staff to participate in activities, camp traditions, and diabetes education. Kids under age 7 will follow a similar schedule as the older kids, but meetings will not last the full hour.
TEEN CAMP (AGES 13-17)
WEEK 1: JUNE 22-26 | 10AM-11AM & 3:PM-4PM DAILY
WEEK 2: JULY 6-9 | 3:PM-4PM DAILY
Teens will participate in both all-group and small-group camp activities and teen diabetes discussions, all while connecting with other teens and staff. Activities will be led by camp staff and will include diabetes dialogue.