We are so excited to announce Camp Insulin and Stars, our virtual “Camp at Home” program this summer. Check out our flyer for the dates, and find details below.
Camp Insulin and Stars is open to people with and without diabetes. Activities will be interactive, will encourage movement, and will limit screen time. All programs will be led by DYF Staff and Volunteers.
These free programs take place weekly. You must register for each program in order to participate. To register, please go to our Calendar, select the program you are interested in and click the “more details” link. You will be taken to the registration page. A waiver form will be emailed to you after your registration and must be completed prior to your first event. Once your registration is approved by our staff, you will receive an email with the Zoom link.
TEEN TUESDAYS | 8:00PM
JUNE 2-JULY 14
Teens ages 13 and up are encouraged to join us every Tuesday night for fun activities, conversations, and camaraderie with other teens and camp staff.
WELCOME STAFF WEDNESDAYS | 7:00PM
MAY 13-JULY 15
Camp staff past and present are invited to come together every Wednesday night for friendship, games, and activities. Registration is not required for these staff sessions-just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the link.
FAMILY CHOICE | 6:30PM
MAY 29-JULY 10
The whole family is invited for activities with our wonderful camp staff. Parent participation is required for some activities (and you’ll have a blast!), while others will keep kiddos occupied while parents have the opportunity to learn from our amazing medical team and participate in live Education Sessions where questions and interaction are strongly encouraged.
Parents- If you have other diabetes questions that fall outside of the assigned parent topics, stay online after each Parent Education Session for “Office Hours with Nurse Jeannie.”
- May 29: Scavenger Hunt with Regan
- Families will be divided into teams and will search for household items in a fun competition.
- June 1: Tie Dye / Bleach Dye with Marilyn and Leah
- Are those plain white clothes starting to get boring? Learn how to spruce up your wardrobe and let’s do some tie dye!
- June 2: Surprise Challenge with Vlada (Kids) and Ed Session (Parents)
- A surprise challenge will be unveiled for kids to complete. They will present their product to a panel of judges who will be sure to provide hilarious commentating throughout!
- Ed Session: Self Compassion and Mental Health, Presented by Sarah Altschuler, MD
- June 3: Adaptation Auction with Whitney
- This nature-themed competition combines drawing, bidding, wit, and hilarity. You won’t want to miss this one!
- June 4: Reverse Pictionary with Ann (Kids) and Ed Session (Parents)
- Kids-bring your coloring supplies and participate in this twist on a classic!
- Ed Session: Automated Insulin Delivery Systems, Presented by Dr. Justin Altschuler
- June 5: Dance Party with Ann
- A playlist will be shared ahead of time so that everyone can join in from their own dance floor! Learn camp classics like Cotton Eyed Joe, and boogie the night away!
- June 8: Dutch Auction with Adrian (Kids) and Ed Session (Parents)
- Kids-In this activity, common household objects could win your team a lot of points! The catch is that you won’t know the point value of each item until we start!
- Ed Session: Improving Diabetes Flexibility, Presented by JoAnne Robb, MFT
- June 9: Friendly Family Feud with Whitney and Al
- Bring your brains to this classic competition with a friendly spin!
- June 10: Show and Tell with Al (Kids) and Ed Session (Parents)
- Kids! Tell us all about your favorite things in your house! Pets and stuffed animals are highly encouraged 🙂
- Ed Session: Adolescent Brain Development, Presented by Mary Simon, MD
- June 11: Photo Scavenger Hunt with Paige
- We’ve created a custom scavenger hunt just for you that you can do in your house!
- June 12: Game Challenge with Leah (Kids) and Ed Session (Parents)
- Kids will be placed into teams to complete a series of games and riddles, with surprise challenges thrown in when you least expect them!
- Ed Session: Puberty: Understanding hormones & changing insulin needs, Presented by Louise Greenspan, MD
- June 19: Jeopardy with Al and Regan
- Join us for this twist on a classic. Hint: if you have T1D and/or camp knowledge you’ll have a leg up on the competition!
- June 26: Variety Show with Scott (Kids) and Ed Session (Parents)
- Our hosts will entertain as kids participate in a variety show where all talents and tricks are welcome!
- Ed Session: Sick Days, T1D, and COVID-19 presented by Stephen Gitelman, MD and Maureen McGrath MS, PNP-BC, BC-ADM
- July 3: Bearskin Bake-off with Leah & Lyndsey
- Bearskin Kitchen Manager Lynsey will lead a baking challenge for the whole family to enjoy, complete with carb counts!
- July 10: Campfire with Maria
- Join us around the (virtual) campfire for songs, skits, jokes, and magic tricks.
To register, please go to our Calendar.
These free programs take place twice a day Monday-Thursday. You must register for the full week in order to participate, and participants should plan on attending each time slot. To register, please go to our Calendar, select the program you are interested in and click the “more details” link. You will be taken to the registration page. A waiver form will be emailed to you after your registration and must be completed. Once your registration is approved by our staff, you will receive an email with the Zoom link, along with your child’s group assignment.
KIDS CAMP (AGES 4-13) | 10AM-11AM & 3PM-4PM DAILY
WEEK 1: JUNE 15-18 | WEEK 2: JUNE 29-JULY 2
Kids will be grouped by age with their peers and staff to participate in activities, camp traditions, and diabetes education. Kids under age 7 will follow a similar schedule as the older kids, but meetings will not last the full hour.
TEEN CAMP (AGES 13-17) | 10AM-11AM & 3:PM-4PM DAILY
WEEK 1: JUNE 20-23 | WEEK 2: JULY 3-6
Teens will be grouped with peers based on their selected area of interest (Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Sports, or Nature). Activities will be led by camp staff and will include diabetes dialogue.