DYF is dedicated to improving the lives of children, teens and families affected by type 1 diabetes (T1D). Founded in 1938, the organization is a leader in the diabetes camping and resident education industry serving more than 1,500 individuals annually through summer and year-round programs. DYF believes that every child with T1D should have the benefit of our lifesaving programs and works year round to raise the necessary funds to meet the demand for our services.
DYF’s mission is to improve the quality of life for children, teens and families affected by diabetes. The organization provides recreation and education within a supportive community, encouraging personal growth, knowledge and independence.
The Development & Communications Manager collaborates with the Director of Development & Communications on the planning, management, and execution of all DYF fundraising initiatives. The primary responsibilities of the position include: gift processing, marketing communications, event management, and donor stewardship and relations. The organization currently raises $1.3 million annually and significant growth in these programs is planned, guided by a strong strategic plan. This is an excellent opportunity to have a major impact on an expanding fundraising program and work with a dynamic, passionate team.
Position Title Development & Communications Manager
Reports to Marissa Clarke-Howard, Director of Development & Communications
Functional Areas Development
Employment Status Full Time, Exempt
Location Hybrid: Concord, CA/Remote
- Collaborate with the Director of Development and Communications, as well as the Development and Marketing committee in the planning, implementing, and meeting of revenue goals
- Develop data governance criteria in response to organizational needs, maintain within the donor database (DonorPerfect), and produce regular reports and mailing lists
- Create and manage database tools including reporting, online forms, and Constant Contact integration
- In collaboration with programs and administrative department staff, develop systems for and oversee the capture of key information from other departments in the donor database (camp families and staff, volunteer hours, in-kind donations, etc.)
- Manage the processing of all donations, preparing acknowledgement letters, and other correspondence
- Develop relationships with and steward assigned donor segments, including monthly donors, workplace donors, lower-mid and new donors, and service organizations (Lions Club). This includes developing materials, crafting messaging, and other cultivation and stewardship activities.
- In conjunction with the Director of Development and Communications, execute DYF’s annual fundraising gala, which generates over $250,000 annually. Duties include managing the live and silent/online auction, securing auction donations, coordinating event logistics, and managing volunteers
- In conjunction with the Director of Development and Communications and the Marketing and Branding Coordinator, create communication and marketing efforts that connect the DYF community, strengthen our brand and cultivate donors. These efforts include: monthly electronic newsletters, social media presence, virtual fundraising campaigns, etc.
- Support the Director of Development & Communications in all Development Department fundraising efforts. Specific duties include:
- Pulling mailing lists
- Developing and executing electronic fundraising appeal plans to coincide with the Spring Appeal and Year End Appeal
- Developing and executing the DYF Day crowdfunding campaign
- Assisting with community fundraising events, as needed
- In conjunction with the Marketing & Branding Coordinator, manage DYF’s social media channels. This includes:
- Researching industry and social media trends, and develop strategies in response to those trends
- Implementing a content calendar to coordinate messaging and delivery across communications channels
- Scheduling and executing deployment of messages
- Collect, maintain, and analyze social media data and provide recommendations based on insights gathered from analysis
- Responding to constituent engagement on DYF’s social media channels
- In conjunction with the Marketing & Branding Coordinator, manage communications with vendors, including designers, mail house, printers, and their associated contracts, invoices, and deliverables
- 2-4 years nonprofit fundraising experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to develop strong internal and external relationships with volunteers, donors, and program participants
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and the Google Suite
- Experience with donor management software (CRM) or other data management
- Detail-oriented self-starter who is organized and able to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to be a strong contributor as a member of a cross-functional team
- Passion for the work of DYF and the T1D community
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, event management and/or marketing communications
- Experience with DonorPerfect is highly desired
- Knowledge of type 1 diabetes or chronic disease management
- Development communications experience or grant writing experience is preferred
- Compensation commensurate with experience; starting range is $63k to $73k annually
- DYF currently provides health, dental, vision, basic life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance plans for full-time employees. Employee premiums 100% funded by DYF
- DYF also offers employee funded 403(b) retirement plan and FSA plan
- Ten (10) earned sick days per year
- Seven (7) paid holidays plus eight (8) paid floating holidays
- Ten (10) earned vacation days in first year with additional earned vacation days accruing after first anniversary of employment
- DYF strives to provide all employees professional development opportunities each year
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
This is a hybrid position requiring two non-consecutive days in the office per week. This position may choose to work more than two days in the office, should they desire.
Employees are responsible and accountable for:
- Compliance with workplace policies and procedures for risk identification, risk assessment and risk control
- Full vaccination against COVID-19
- Identification and reporting of health and safety risks, accidents, incidents, injuries and property damage at the workplace
- Ability to operate a computer for extended periods with appropriate breaks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced office environment, with high demands
- Valid driver’s license and driving records which meet DYF’s insurance carrier requirements
- Ability to bend, stoop, and lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed including some weekends and evenings
How to Apply:
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role.
DYF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees with respect to any terms or conditions of employment on account of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, citizenship, military service status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
Job Description – Development & Communications Manager